Air Quality Monitoring
In Sri Lanka, the quality of air has been deteriorating in urban locales, in places close to industries and in places with biomass burning. The rate of deterioration in some urban areas with high traffic congestion leaves large share of the population is exposed to respiratory diseases and of general ill health.
Note, not all instruments shall be updating data due to connectivity issues. Above, you can find map based pointers to access these data.
In this page, we present real-time updates of air quality at
- diagnosing historical air pollution data for diurnal variations, seasonality and inter-annual variation for Kandy, Colombo, Puttalam, and other urban areas.
- assessing the relationship with climate variation
- modeling the transport of air pollution in Sri Lanka and the region
- obtaining air quality data on particulates and carbon dioxide in 10 stations in real time in a network which covers Kandy, Nawalapitiya, Colombo, Puttalam so far.
- maintaining an online updated repository of air quality data
- working with partners on assessing health impacts.
- developing an updated air quality map